Some of my observations:
- People go around looking for something new and exciting around the airport
- A BMW kiosk was the center of attention. The Kiosk displayed BMW cars and at the bottom gave information about the airport.
- Many people were also going through the display of clothes by many Fashion retail houses like Tommy, DKNY etc. Interestingly I could not find even a single person buying or even trying out the clothes. But, some people were buying small accessories, chocolates, sweets and most of the people bought eatables and food items.
- Regarding food items, I have observed that people are increasingly buying packaged food to be consumed on flight. This is becoming a phenomenon after low cost airlines have become a rage. These airlines do not provide "free" food on flight, so, I believe people find a wider variety and better deal on airports rather than on flights.
- Foot Massage chairs are usually kept for demonstration in malls and were available here at airports too. Noticeably, only a few use the chairs available at malls but at the airport, there was a queue to have a demonstration for the same.
- As soon as the newspapers came in, everyone jumped on them. Almost everyone picked up every newspaper daily possible. As I watched a couple of people, they browsed through the spicy parts of the newspapers and then kept them aside. Only a few went on to read some news articles in details. All such papers went into either waste baskets or got collected by an airport staff (I think to be sold in junkyard).A few people also saved the newspapers for the journey.
- When we got onto the flight, just a 2.5 hours journey, the observations were even more interesting.
- Most people fiddle around with every object around them
- The flight magazine
- The safety manual --> Some keep it back as soon as they pick it up, dejectedly, but others pick it back to read.
- People cannot make any calls using their mobile phones on flights. But, they keep playing with the device, just in case it would come alive and get them some entertainment (engagement)
- Alas, some people start small talk with their neighbors over silly things such as: how rude was the airhostess, weather, India etc.
- When we touch down, then somewhere in the back of our minds is there a tiny doubt over our luggage: Will we get it back? When will it come? Is it broken?
- Public transport and public transport information from the Airports is still not all that great, although we get some options: Buses, Taxis, Metro, Shared Taxi, Autos, Shared Autos; but the challenge is in identifying what suits my needs best and how to know about it.
"People are actively seeking for solutions!"
Do share what other opportunities come to your mind, or what other observations do you make while in an Airport?